Half of Americans Have Used CBD in the Past Year
Jun 21 2022
– Nearly one-third (29%) of users claim social stigmas impact where they buy CBD –
DENVER, CO (April 18, 2022) — Adtaxi, one of the nation’s fastest-growing digital marketing agencies, today announced the results of its new survey, 2022 CBD & E-commerce Habits, Opinions, and Preferences. The survey results show that familiarity with CBD is growing, with 83% of Americans reporting to be at least somewhat familiar with the product. The survey also found that 50% of Americans have used CBD in the past year. Among CBD users, about half (48%) use CBD at least once a week.
“With familiarity and demand for CBD rising across the nation, the question of where Americans are buying their favorite products is on the top of marketers’ minds,” said Chris Loretto, EVP of Adtaxi. “While the CBD industry is still relatively new to digital marketers, the results of the survey underscore the importance of understanding consumers’ needs and concerns while shopping for CBD.”
Key findings from the survey include:
- HIGH LEVEL OF AWARENESS, EXPERIMENTATION, & ACCEPTANCE. The vast majority (83%) of survey participants are familiar with CBD products. Of those who have heard of CBD, half (50%) have tried it over the past 12 months. Of those who tried it – most of them liked it. Only 4% stopped using CBD products after their first use. Additionally, regarding everyone who tried it, we see a high level of frequency in use. 50% of CBD consumers use the product at least once a week.
- REASONS FOR CBD USE: Nearly half (43%) of Americans are turning to CBD to help combat different ailments they experience. Those ailments include but are not limited to, anxiety and stress (41%), insomnia (31%), inflammation (30%), and depression (22%).
- REASONS FOR NOT USING CBD: For those who don’t turn to CBD for relief, lack of information and lack of recommendation were to blame. 43% claim they don’t know enough about the product, while 42% of Americans who suffer from ailments do not use CBD because they don’t have a doctor’s recommendation. In other words, 8 in 10 (77%) believe more education or advertising is key to them trying CBD.
- RETAIL VS ECOMMERCE: When asked where Americans prefer to shop for their daily needs, 52% still choose in-store shopping over ecommerce (36%). However, when it comes to shopping for CBD products the majority of users (36%) favor buying online over a retail store (32%) or dispensary (25%). Nearly one-third (29%) of users claim social stigmas impact where they buy CBD.
- SHOPPING LOCATION DECIDING FACTORS: Nearly two-thirds (62%) of Americans say convenience is a top factor when choosing where to shop. Additionally, over half (51%) consider cost when deciding where they shop. When it comes to shopping for CBD, 34% of shoppers turn to customer reviews before buying products.
- CONSUMERS SEEK SALES: The issue of cost was prominent when asking CBD consumers what impacts their decisions on where to shop. 38% of users stated they seek discounts and in-store sales when shopping while 36% seek the same discounts online. Additionally, 22% of Americans say the price is a factor in why they don’t use CBD.
“While the survey indicates national acceptance of CBD, it is clear there are still notable barriers preventing a larger percentage of consumers from using CBD. Increased education and accessibility are key to resonating with untapped audiences,” added Loretto. “Across all industries, consumer trends lean towards convenience and cost-efficiency, another reason why capitalizing on digital audiences is vital.”
This survey was conducted online using Survey Monkey among a national sample of 1,059 adults spanning across U.S. geographic regions, income levels, gender, and age, with CBD users represented by the 565 respondents who indicated they regularly consume the product. The survey was conducted on April 4th, 2022.
Founded in 2010 within MediaNews Group, Adtaxi made its mark in programmatic advertising before expanding into search, social, and connected TV. Over time, Adtaxi has refined and perfected its holistic performance-based strategy, which became the foundation of Quantum, originally launched in 2015. Leveraging the power of people plus technology, Adtaxi’s innovative full-funnel methodology leverages a variety of tools and processes throughout the client lifecycle to drive omnichannel optimizations across channels to maximize performance and deliver superior value for advertisers. Adtaxi functions as a true partner with its clients, acting as a single point of contact and support through multi-platform campaign cycles. Find Adtaxi on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.